1. Marsh United States Insurance Market Report 2013: Guy Carpenter sister company Marsh’s 2013 United States Insurance Report reveals that although U.S. commercial insurance rates are expected to continue firming in many lines of business and industry sectors in 2013, traditional signs of a conventional hard market are not evident as price increases are not uniform, capacity is plentiful and competition among insurers remains intense.
2. January 1, 2013 Renewals Bring Stable Reinsurance Pricing: Guy Carpenter reports that the reinsurance sector enters 2013 equipped with ample dedicated capital and stable pricing. In its 2013 global renewal report, The Route to Profitable Growth, Guy Carpenter finds that the January 1, 2013 renewals took place against a stable backdrop, with only loss-affected lines and select regions experiencing price volatility. The market was supported by a combination of factors including lower than normal catastrophe losses during the first nine months of 2012, new reinsurance capacity and record-high levels of capital.
3. Risk Profile, Appetite, and Tolerance: Fundamental Concepts in Risk Management and Reinsurance Effectiveness: Prior to the recent turbulence in the financial markets, insurers and reinsurers were increasing their use of enterprise risk management to make risk and capital management decisions. While this was driven in part by rating agencies and regulators, many carriers began to recognize the value of metric-based frameworks and capital models in evaluating their portfolios.
4. Tony Gallagher Appointed Chief Executive Officer of the Pacific Region for Guy Carpenter: Guy Carpenter announced that Tony Gallagher will be appointed Chief Executive Officer of the firm’s Pacific Region effective March 1, 2013. Mr. Gallagher will be based in Sydney and will report to James Nash, CEO of the firm’s Asia Pacific region.
5. Extension of Guy Carpenter’s Asia Flood Model to China: Floods are among the most destructive hazards and as more people move to urban areas, flooding is having a growing impact on larger populations and economic losses.
6. Solvency II on GC Capital Ideas: Here we review recent GC Capital Ideas stories that have touched on issues relating to the Solvency II regime.
7. Chart Room: Reserve Cycle, General Liability Claims Made and Products Liability Claims Made: The lines have begun to show deteriorating results in the most recent accident years.
8. BRIC Countries: Here we bring together recent GC Capital Ideas’ posts that have focused on the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) countries.
9. Approaching April Renewals: As we approach the April 1 Japan reinsurance renewals, we review recent GC Capital Ideas stories focusing on Asia Pacific.
10. Chart: Guy Carpenter Global Rate on Line Index, January 2013: The Guy Carpenter Global Property Catastrophe Reinsurance Rate on Line index fell marginally at the January 1, 2013, renewal. This is the seventh consecutive annual renewal in which changes to the index have equaled 10 percent or less, indicating a global market with capacity appropriate to meet demand.