1. Rising Sea Levels Ranked as the Greatest Climate Change Threat: Guy Carpenter released today an analysis of the evolving risk landscape spurred by global warming. Climate change, global warming and the resulting landscape shift for risk management is a growing area of concern among governments, the general public, the private sector and the (re)insurance industry at large. According to the report, global warming is an established scientific fact that cannot be explained by natural variability alone.
2. Guy Carpenter Mid-Year Report Highlights Catalysts for Growth in (Re)insurance Industry: Guy Carpenter released its mid-year market report, highlighting a time of dynamic capital growth in the reinsurance industry. As investors supply capacity through a convergence of alternative and traditional vehicles, the report details the ways in which this new supply of capital and excess capacity has changed the nature of the sector’s capital structure.
3. Effective Enterprise Risk Management: With Solvency II and similar regimes in place and still on the horizon in some countries, and the continuing evolution of rating agency requirements, the last decade has seen the (re)insurance industry fully embrace the practice of enterprise risk management (ERM). As a trusted advisor to (re)insurers globally, Guy Carpenter has observed firsthand what it takes to implement ERM successfully. An ERM program’s effectiveness may be enhanced with the benefit of adherence to a set of simple tenets.
4. Cyber, Climate Change and Space Highlighted as Critical Emerging Risks in Guy Carpenter Report: Guy Carpenter published a new report highlighting emerging risks facing the (re)insurance sector, including cyber risk, climate change and space risk. The report seeks to identify pressing emerging risks confronting the sector, as well as analyze their implications on businesses and (re)insurers.
5. Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman Publish Third Annual Insurance Risk Benchmarks Report: Guy Carpenter and its sister company, Oliver Wyman, the international management consulting firm, have published the third annual Insurance Risk Benchmarks. With greater regulatory supervision over the enterprise risks of insurance companies looming worldwide, economic capital modeling has become increasingly essential to executives. This report provides metrics and insights to allow clients to answer a key question: How do you know whether you are quantifying your risks reasonably?
6. July 1 Renewals Indicate Downward Pressure on Reinsurance Rates Likely to Continue through 2013: Guy Carpenter reports that reinsurance market rates on line (ROLs) continued to be driven by an influx of capital from third-party investors at the July 1 renewals, in spite of catastrophe losses reaching approximately USD20 billion during the first six months of 2013 (above the ten-year average for the period). In a briefing released today, Guy Carpenter comments that robust catastrophe bond, sidecar and collateralized reinsurance activity throughout the year has for the first time pushed pricing in the capital markets to “decouple” or breakaway from levels set by the traditional market. This has in turn prompted downward pressure on overall traditional market pricing.
7. Guy Carpenter Addresses Market Impact of New Capacity: In its sixth annual press briefing held at the Reinsurance Rendez-Vous 2013 in Monte Carlo, Guy Carpenter considered the impact of new capacity on current market conditions and explored where the opportunities exist for profitable growth in such an environment.
8. Opportunities in Latin America: A Microscopic Look: While markets in some developed countries are demonstrating signs of recovery from the economic uncertainty of the last few years, and the growth in some developing markets is slowing, emerging countries remain attractive for insurance companies seeking opportunities for profitable growth. Latin America is an especially significant emerging region - it is rich in natural resources, geographically close to the United States and all of its governments are democratic. Before entering and engaging in business in this region, it is necessary for companies to be familiar with the economic environment, political situation, regulations, trends and risks that may be encountered. In Guy Carpenter’s forthcoming study, 2013 Emerging Market Overview Report on Latin America, key trends are reviewed that validate healthy competitive markets and improving macroeconomic and sovereign credit scenarios.
9. Risk Profile, Appetite, and Tolerance: Fundamental Concepts in Risk Management and Reinsurance Effectiveness: Prior to the recent turbulence in the financial markets, insurers and reinsurers were increasing their use of enterprise risk management (ERM) to make risk and capital management decisions. While this was driven in part by rating agencies and regulators, many carriers began to recognize the value of metric-based frameworks and capital models in evaluating their portfolios.
10. Emerging Markets Review: Here we bring together recent GC Capital Ideas stories focused on the growth opportunities afforded by emerging markets.
*Securities or investments, as applicable, are offered in the United States through GC Securities, a division of MMC Securities Corp., a US registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/NFA/SIPC. Main Office: 1166 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. Phone: (212) 345-5000. Securities or investments, as applicable, are offered in the European Union by GC Securities, a division of MMC Securities (Europe) Ltd. (MMCSEL), which is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, main office 25 The North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HS. Reinsurance products are placed through qualified affiliates of Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC. MMC Securities Corp., MMC Securities (Europe) Ltd. and Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC are affiliates owned by Marsh & McLennan Companies. This communication is not intended as an offer to sell or a solicitation of any offer to buy any security, financial instrument, reinsurance or insurance product. **GC Analytics is a registered mark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.