1. Guy Carpenter’s Rate on Line Index: Here we review recent GC Capital Ideas Chart Room entries highlighting Guy Carpenter’s Rate on Line Index.
2. Industry Reserve Update - Which Way Is The Cycle Turning?: With the release of the 2013 annual statutory statements, we have updated the Guy Carpenter reserve cycle analysis as shown in the chart. Overall, the figures indicate a trend showing the industry continuing to release reserves through this year, as two lines of business appear to exert the greatest impact on the cycle.
3. April Renewals Bring Price Reductions & Focus on Tailored Coverage: Guy Carpenter reports that the April 1, 2014 renewal was marked by price reductions and more tailored reinsurance coverage. Strong balance sheets, an abundance of capacity and a consolidation of buying led to lower reinsurance pricing across most territories and business segments at the renewal.
4. Chart: Confirmed Annual U.S. Tornado Activity: The chart reports confirmed annual U.S. tornado activity from 1950 to 2013 of F2 or higher strength with wind speeds of 113 mph and higher on the Fujita scale.
5. Severe Weather Outbreak in U.S.: April 26 to 30, 2014: A multi-day severe weather outbreak rendered severe impacts from April 26 to 30 affecting a large area of the United States.
6. Guy Carpenter Asia-Pacific Climate Impact Centre Publishes New Annual Report: The Guy Carpenter Asia-Pacific Climate Impact Centre (GCACIC), a joint initiative of the City University of Hong Kong and Guy Carpenter, today released its fifth annual report presenting the highlights of the GCACIC’s research activities from the past year. The report details the findings of 16 projects conducted by the GCACIC, which focus on climate problems in the Asia-Pacific region as well as on a global scale.
7. January 1, 2014 Renewals Bring Downward Pressure on Pricing: Guy Carpenter & Company reports that reinsurance rates-on-line fell at the January 1, 2014 renewal in nearly all classes and regions. According to Guy Carpenter’s 2014 global renewal report, strong balance sheets, relatively low loss experiences and an unprecedented influx of convergence capital spurred competition and innovation at renewal. These factors led in turn to surplus capacity across most business segments as competition spilled beyond property catastrophe lines.
8. Review of the Asia Pacific Market: Here we review recent GC Capital Ideas stories related to the Asia Pacific region.
9. Review of Space Risks and Insurance Solutions: Here we review recent GC Capital Ideas stories on space risk and related insurance solutions.
10. Trends in Convergent Capital in the Reinsurance Sector: Here we review GC Capital Ideas entries highlighting trends in convergent capital in the reinsurance sector.
Securities or investments, as applicable, are offered in the United States through GC Securities, a division of MMC Securities Corp., a US registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/NFA/SIPC. Main Office: 1166 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. Phone: (212) 345-5000. Securities or investments, as applicable, are offered in the European Union by GC Securities, a division of MMC Securities (Europe) Ltd. (MMCSEL), which is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, main office 25 The North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HS. Reinsurance products are placed through qualified affiliates of Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC. MMC Securities Corp., MMC Securities (Europe) Ltd. and Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC are affiliates owned by Marsh & McLennan Companies. This communication is not intended as an offer to sell or a solicitation of any offer to buy any security, financial instrument, reinsurance or insurance product. **GC Analytics is a registered mark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.