1. July 1 Renewals Reveal Continued Double Digit Price Decreases Across Many Lines and Geographies: Guy Carpenter reports that market pressures at July 1 renewals continued to drive price decreases across virtually all geographies and lines of business, many in the double digit range. As loss activity remained minimal, reinsurers added to surplus capacity and additional capital continued to come into the market via alternative sources.
2. Chart: Global Property Catastrophe ROL Index: The Guy Carpenter Global Property Catastrophe Rate on Line index is presented for 1990 through 2014. The index fell by 11 percent at January 1, 2014.
3. Chart: U.S. Landfall To Basin Ratio - Detected Hurricanes (1900-2013): The chart indicates that the proportion of hurricanes counted in the Atlantic Basin and those that made landfall has been very volatile through the years. While there is indeed a weak correlation between hurricane counts in the Atlantic Basin and the number of U.S. landfalls, statistical significance is a subject of some debate in the scientific community (Coughlin et al., 2009; Dailey et al., 2009).
4. Chart: Combined Ratio for Guy Carpenter Composite, Q1 2014: Chart presents combined ratio for the Guy Carpenter Global Reinsurance Composite, 2004 through first quarter, 2014.
5. 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season: One Never Truly Knows: The 2004 hurricane season was a weak El Niño year, which brought five landfalling U.S. hurricanes, four of which affected Florida. The risk of a landfalling hurricane is a serious threat for any tropical season, regardless of seasonal outlooks for the Atlantic Basin at large. In fact, sea-surface temperatures along the U.S. coast and northern Caribbean are trending above average, and tropical cyclone development in these areas close to the mainland is cause for concern. Such development depends on short-term weather patterns at the time of occurrence, not on how many hurricanes are expected in the Atlantic basin at large.
6. The Drivers of Agriculture Insurance in Asia: Introduction: Greater demands are being placed on Asia’s agricultural sector as the region’s rapidly changing economies and their increasingly affluent populations seek to boost living standards. This, in turn, will fuel the development of insurance products necessary to underpin the growth in agriculture.
7. Chart: Rate Movements by Business Segment: Reports rate movements at January 1, 2014.
8. Chart: Return On Equity For Guy Carpenter Reinsurance Composite, Q1 2014: Chart presents return on equity for the Guy Carpenter Global Reinsurance Composite, 2004 through first quarter, 2014.
9. Update: Hurricane Arthur: Hurricane Arthur is the first hurricane to make U.S. landfall since 2012, and the earliest to make North Carolina landfall for any hurricane season since 1908. According to the National Hurricane Center (NHC), Arthur made landfall in North Carolina on July 3 at about 11:15 p.m. EDT (0315 UTC), with maximum sustained winds of 100 mph (161 km/hr).
10. 2014 Tropical Cyclone Landfall Predictions: A recent study shows it is possible to use a regional climate model to more accurately predict the number of tropical cyclone formations compared to predictions based solely on a global climate model.