1. July 1 Renewals Reveal Continued Double Digit Price Decreases Across Many Lines and Geographies: Guy Carpenter reports that market pressures at July 1 renewals continued to drive price decreases across virtually all geographies and lines of business, many in the double digit range. As loss activity remained minimal, reinsurers added to surplus capacity and additional capital continued to come into the market via alternative sources.
2. The Terrorism Reinsurance Market: Despite the recent spike in terrorist-related activity, evolving capacity and the absence of a major terrorism loss for reinsurers have resulted in a softening terrorism reinsurance market in areas with less perceived risk. Although localized terrorism and political violence activity has impacted certain facultative programs and affected pricing and capacity at the local level, adequate terrorism capacity continues to be available in the reinsurance treaty marketplace for certain countries and territories.
3. Chart: Global Property Catastrophe ROL Index: The Guy Carpenter Global Property Catastrophe Rate on Line index is presented for 1990 through 2014. The index fell by 11 percent at January 1, 2014.
4. Guy Carpenter Launches MetaRisk® 7.3: Guy Carpenter announced the release of MetaRisk® 7.3, the latest version of the firm’s premier risk and capital management decision-making tool.
5. GC Videocast - MENA Insights: Fadi AbuNahl, Chief Executive, Trust Re: In our third MENA Insights interview Fadi AbuNahl, chief executive of Trust Re, describes how the MENA re/insurance market has developed in recent years and what has prompted greater risk retention within the underlying market. He thinks there is plenty of reinsurance premium to go around but cautions against competing on price alone.
6. The Evolving Terrorist Threat: Terrorist activity over the last 18 months has reflected the changing terrorism landscape. Several important developments have occurred since the beginning of 2013, starting with French military intervention in Mali in January 2013 to prevent the country from becoming a failed state and base for jihadist terrorists.
7. Risk Profile, Appetite, and Tolerance: Fundamental Concepts in Risk Management and Reinsurance Effectiveness: Prior to the recent turbulence in the financial markets, insurers and reinsurers were increasing their use of enterprise risk management (ERM) to make risk and capital management decisions. While this was driven in part by rating agencies and regulators, many carriers began to recognize the value of metric-based frameworks and capital models in evaluating their portfolios.
8. 6.0Mw Earthquake - American Canyon, California: A 6.0-magnitude earthquake was reported by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) about 4 miles northwest of American Canyon, California and five miles north-northwest of Napa, California. The quake occurred at 3:20 a.m. local time (10:20 UTC) near the north shore of San Pablo Bay, with a magnitude of 6.0. The quake depth was 7.0 miles (11.3 km).
9. Chart: Regional Property Catastrophe ROL Index: The chart shows the indexes for United States, United Kingdom, Asia Pacific and Europe.
10. Hawaii Double Threat: Hurricanes Iselle and Julio: Hurricane Iselle is poised to become the first hurricane in 22 years to make a direct landfall in Hawaii. According to the Central Pacific Hurricane Center (CPHC), Iselle is located 305 miles east-southeast of Hilo, Hawaii and 510 miles east-southeast of Honolulu, Hawaii. It has already started raining in Hilo and conditions are expected to deteriorate through the day, with the onset of tropical storm conditions this afternoon and hurricane conditions tonight. Trailing Iselle is Hurricane Julio. Julio is presently 1,235 miles east of Hilo, Hawaii. Julio is expected to impact the area shortly following Iselle, but with some uncertainty concerning the expected track and impacts.