1. Chart: Global Property Catastrophe ROL Index 1990 to 2015: The Guy Carpenter Global Property Catastrophe Rate on Line (ROL) index is presented for 1990 through 2015.
2. Impact of Insurance Market Cycles on Insurers’ Reserves: Here we review GC Capital Ideas stories on the impact of insurance market cycles on insurers’ reserves.
3. Reinsurance Versus Subordinate Debt: Which is Best for Solvency Capital?: Here we review how a holistic approach to managing solvency capital requirements can benefit insurers’ bottom line.
4. Emerging Risk Challenges And Opportunities: A cursory reading of just a few of the publications on the topic of emerging risks quickly resembles a crash-course in risk aversion therapy. We have been subjected to a bewildering and ever lengthening series of lists of emerging risks. Swiss Re recently identified 26 such risks, Hannover Re has an ongoing list of 14 while the World Economic Forum in its Global Risks 2014 lists 31 global risks.
5. Risk Profile, Appetite, and Tolerance: Fundamental Concepts in Risk Management and Reinsurance Effectiveness: Prior to the recent turbulence in the financial markets, insurers and reinsurers were increasing their use of enterprise risk management (ERM) to make risk and capital management decisions. While this was driven in part by rating agencies and regulators, many carriers began to recognize the value of metric-based frameworks and capital models in evaluating their portfolios.
6. 7.8Mw Earthquake - Lamjung, Nepal: Nepal experienced a magnitude 7.8 earthquake on April 25, followed by two major aftershocks on April 25 and 26 of magnitude 6.6 and 6.7, respectively, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). Media reports indicate at least 5,582 fatalities, 11,200 injuries, and at least eight million people affected. Infrastructure and transportation routes have been severely disrupted and food and water shortages are of great concern. The USGS PAGER service estimates most probable economic losses between USD1 and USD10 billion. It is clear from media reports that impacts have been widespread and of excessive severity and our first thoughts and concerns are with the millions affected by this tragic event.
7. New Solutions Help Mutual Insurers Face Market Challenges: Mutual insurance companies of all sizes currently face challenging market conditions where success requires not only focused distribution and operational excellence, but also access to increasingly sophisticated analytics services and products. How these firms use their resources and advanced technology to respond to these issues will separate market outperformers from underperformers.
8. Guy Carpenter Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Insurance James Wrynn as Vice Chairman of US Strategic Advisory: Guy Carpenter announced the appointment of former New York State Superintendent of Insurance James J. Wrynn as Vice Chairman of US Strategic Advisory and a Managing Director.
9. Approach of Atlantic Hurricane Season: As we approach the beginning of the 2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season, we review CAT-i stories covering the major storms from 2014.
10. Chart: Combined Ratio For Guy Carpenter Composite, YE 2014: Chart presents combined ratio for the Guy Carpenter Global Reinsurance Composite, 2004 through year end 2014.