1. Guy Carpenter Mid-Year Review Assesses Key Industry Trends: Guy Carpenter released its 2015 Mid-Year Report on the (re)insurance landscape. In addition to providing a brief recap of renewal activity highlighted in their release on July 9, the report assesses key industry trends, including a detailed assessment of mergers and acquisitions activity and highlights other notable themes such as cyber security risk, increased regulation and public-private partnerships.
2. Chart: Global Property Catastrophe ROL Index 1990 to 2015: The Guy Carpenter Global Property Catastrophe Rate on Line (ROL) index is presented for 1990 through 2015.
3. July 1 Renewals Reveal Price Declines Moderating Especially for US Wind-Exposed Programs: Guy Carpenter released its July 1 Renewal Briefing that shows price declines have continued to moderate, predominantly on programs covering US wind. Overall pricing was down again at the July renewal across virtually all geographies and lines of business. However, additional limit placed over the past few months is partially responsible for the stabilization of price declines, particularly for US property. Increased demand for reinsurance and expansion of tailored coverage persisted through the July renewal period from previous seasons.
4. Cyber-attacks: Mounting Concerns: Here we review recent GC Capital Ideas stories on mounting concerns over cyber-attacks.
5. Guy Carpenter Names Tim Gardner CEO of U.S. Operations: Guy Carpenter announced the appointment of Tim Gardner as CEO of U.S. Operations effective August 1, 2015. Mr. Gardner will be a member of the Guy Carpenter Board of Managers and he will be based in New York.
6. Microinsurance Consortium and Venture Incubator Announces New Name: The Microinsurance Consortium, led by a group of leading companies in the insurance industry, announced a new name for their microinsurance venture incubator (MVI) - Blue Marble Microinsurance. The consortium consists of American International Group, Inc., Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited, Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC together with Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc., Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd., Old Mutual plc, Transatlantic Reinsurance Company, XL Catlin, and Zurich Insurance Group.
7. Risk Profile, Appetite, and Tolerance: Fundamental Concepts in Risk Management and Reinsurance Effectiveness: Prior to the recent turbulence in the financial markets, insurers and reinsurers were increasing their use of enterprise risk management (ERM) to make risk and capital management decisions. While this was driven in part by rating agencies and regulators, many carriers began to recognize the value of metric-based frameworks and capital models in evaluating their portfolios.
8. Specialty Insurance Programs Poised for Growth and Opportunity in 2015, According to Guy Carpenter Survey: Guy Carpenter released the findings of its ninth Specialty Insurance Program Issuing Carrier Survey. The survey, which analyzes trends and benchmarks across the Program Administrator and Managing General Agency (PA/MGA) market, asserts that the PA/MGA market continues to thrive, with a positive outlook and growth opportunities expected for the year ahead.
9. 2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Tropical Storms Ana And Bill Rush In On Expected Quiet Season: As with any season, a landfalling hurricane can be a serious threat regardless of seasonal outlooks for the Atlantic Basin at large.
10. Chart: Source Of Earnings For Guy Carpenter Reinsurance Composite, Q1 2015: Chart presents source of earnings for the Guy Carpenter Global Reinsurance Composite for the first quarter, 2015 compared to first quarter, 2014.