1. Tropical Depression Soudelor: Typhoon Soudelor made landfall in Hualien County, Taiwan at about 05:00 CST Saturday (21:00 UTC Friday), with one-minute sustained winds of 120 mph (195 kilometers per hour) according to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC). Soudelor brought excessive rainfall and strong winds to Taiwan, causing inland flooding, mudslides and reports of widespread damage.
2. Chart: Global Property Catastrophe ROL Index 1990 to 2015: The Guy Carpenter Global Property Catastrophe Rate on Line (ROL) index is presented for 1990 through 2015.
3. Guy Carpenter Mid-Year Review Assesses Key Industry Trends: Guy Carpenter released its 2015 Mid-Year Report on the (re)insurance landscape. In addition to providing a brief recap of renewal activity highlighted in their release on July 9, the report assesses key industry trends, including a detailed assessment of mergers and acquisitions activity and highlights other notable themes such as cyber security risk, increased regulation and public-private partnerships.
4. Guy Carpenter’s 9th Specialty Insurance Program Issuing Carrier Survey: Guy Carpenter continues to provide the industry with our survey analysis of the current program marketplace from the program issuing carriers’ perspective.
5. Risk Profile, Appetite, and Tolerance: Fundamental Concepts in Risk Management and Reinsurance Effectiveness: Prior to the recent turbulence in the financial markets, insurers and reinsurers were increasing their use of enterprise risk management (ERM) to make risk and capital management decisions. While this was driven in part by rating agencies and regulators, many carriers began to recognize the value of metric-based frameworks and capital models in evaluating their portfolios.
6. Microinsurance Consortium and Venture Incubator Announces New Name: The Microinsurance Consortium, led by a group of leading companies in the insurance industry, announced a new name for their microinsurance venture incubator (MVI) - Blue Marble Microinsurance. The consortium consists of American International Group, Inc., Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited, Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC together with Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc., Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd., Old Mutual plc, Transatlantic Reinsurance Company, XL Catlin and Zurich Insurance Group
7. Chart: Regional Property Catastrophe ROL Index, 1990 to 2015: The chart shows the indexes for United States, United Kingdom, Asia Pacific and Europe.
8. Managing Catastrophe Model Uncertainty, Issues and Challenges: Here we repeat our popular series authored by John Major, which focuses on the issues and challenges in managing catastrophe model uncertainty.
9. June 1, 2015 Renewals Show Rate of Price Declines Moderating: Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC, a leading global risk and reinsurance specialist and a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE:MMC), reports that after two years of price decreases averaging 15 percent on U.S. property catastrophe placements, risk-adjusted pricing moderated at the most recent June renewals.
10. July 1 Renewals Reveal Price Declines Moderating Especially for US Wind-Exposed Programs: Guy Carpenter released its July 1 Renewal Briefing that shows price declines have continued to moderate, predominantly on programs covering US wind. Overall pricing was down again at the July renewal across virtually all geographies and lines of business. However, additional limit placed over the past few months is partially responsible for the stabilization of price declines, particularly for US property. Increased demand for reinsurance and expansion of tailored coverage persisted through the July renewal period from previous seasons.