For an organization to succeed in adopting technological solutions they must find ways to engage their workforce in the digital transformation or they will fall behind their competitors.
A study by Guy Carpenter’s affiliates, Mercer and Oliver Wyman, says findings indicate that a successful digital transformation incorporates the following five key elements in a new, holistic model:
- Chief Digital Officer (CDO) as a key enabler of transformation: The CDO serves as the system integrator and change process facilitator.
- Proactive workforce upskilling: Sufficient workforce training and investments made before the implementation process help to ensure the workforce has the skills and the cultural willingness to work effectively with digital technologies.
- Collaborative technology design: Vendors, internal firm managers, and workers jointly define the problems/opportunities that digitization might address.
- Augmenting human input with Artificial Intelligence (AI): Consider systemic process changes via AI (pure AI processes but also AI augmenting humans).
- Integrating technology into workflows: Staff closest to soon-to-be-digitized work brought into the design right from the start. Not only consider automation of existing processes but also think about the process itself (and optimize it).