1. Chart: Significant Insured Losses – 2011 to Q2 2019 : Chart exhibits the significant insured losses from 2011 through the second quarter of this year. First-half 2019 losses are at levels below those experienced in first-half 2017 and 2018.
2.Searles Valley Earthquake Sequence: Mw 6.4 and Mw 7.1 Events : A pair of significant earthquakes struck the Searles Valley, California area (Kern County) on July 4 and 5, 2019, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
3. Social Engineering: The Non-technical Strategy to a Successful Cyber Attack : Cyber threat actors and their techniques have evolved, but most attacks still contain elements of social engineering. Without complex tools, software or extensive knowledge about the security platform, social engineering is an effective, non-technical strategy used by cyber criminals.
4 CAT- i Bulletin: Hurricane Barry : Hurricane Barry made landfall near Morgan City, Louisiana on July 13, briefly reaching hurricane status while moving ashore. The storm has since weakened and its remnants have moved into the Lower Great Lakes area.
5. Review of Silent Cyber Coverage on GC Capital Ideas : Here we present the recent stories that GC Capital Ideas has presented on silent cyber, also known as unintended or non-affirmative coverage, the unknown or unquantified exposures stemming from cyber perils that may be triggered within traditional property and liability insurance policies.
6. Changes in the Reliance on TRIPRA : In the United States, the Terrorism Risk Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2015 (TRIPRA) is scheduled to expire at the end of 2020. Renewal under its current structure and coverages remains uncertain. As a result, carriers are beginning to explore and, in some cases, to secure, additional reinsurance limits and coverages under the assumption that there is a finite amount of capacity available in the private market, especially for nuclear, biological, chemical and radiological events.
7. Complications That Impact Cyber Resilience : In an increasingly complex business and cyber landscape, organizations encounter greater challenges when trying to balance their business resilience and cyber security priorities.